Friday, August 12, 2011

The Truss Are Set -- And a New Quilt Is Started

After a couple of days off due to rain, Randall, Doug, and Brandon are back at work building. 

The boards are down on the front porch now.Soon there will be railing.





After working a couple of days between rain showers the truss are installed. While tying the new portion with the older, yet another wasp nest was extracted. Thank goodness it was empty of wasp. The spray George used a couple of years ago really did its job.

While enjoying the rain, I decided to work on a quilt I cut out many months ago called Apple Spice. My friend, Carol, made this quilt a couple years ago and I just feel in love with the design. So I decided I would make one for myself. The first thing I started on was a block called "Snowball". To make this block, I started with an assortment of tan fabrics cut into 8.5" squares and sewed assorted red 2.5" squares in each corner of the larger block. Then I trimmed and pressedeach block making a total of 60 blocks that look like this when they are finished.





The next step I did was to sew assorted brown and red 1.5" strips of fabric together with assorted tan stripsand made 70 strip sets. These strip sets were cut into 896 1.5" segments


                        and were then sewn into 448 four patch units.           

Nothing is wasted when it comes to fabric at my house, the triangles cut from the corners of the Snowball will make a great start to a new quilt!

Check back for  updates on the progress of Mom's New Space and the progress of my Apple Spice quilt project.

No comments: